Home Page

Q7. What specialised services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

The school works collaboratively and extensively with a wide range of external agencies and services. Below are the most commonly accessed services:

  • Pupil & School Support ( PSS ) : Story Wood School buys into this service. A named person is assigned to the school and supports us with assessment and advice regarding target setting, interventions and training for specific learning difficulties.
  • Play Therapy – The school employs a play therapist for one day a week to provide therapy for children requiring specific.
  • Educational Psychologist – Our school buys into The Educational Psychologist Service. Our allocated school EP provides us with advice for a range of Special Educational Needs including social, emotional and mental health needs and /or learning needs.
  • Communication & Autism Team (CAT) : we have a named worker who is in regular contact with the school to provide us with advice and support for individual pupils either with a diagnosis of ASC or with Autistic tendencies such as social /communication difficulties.
  • Speech & Language Therapy ( SALT): we have decided to employ an independent speech therapist who comes into school on a weekly basis to work with pupils who have been identified as having specific communication and language difficulties.
  • NHS Speech & Language Therapy ( SALT): we refer to the NHS for additional support for pupils as required.
  • Integrated Family Support team ( IFST ) : we work closely with the team to support individual families and pupils as required.
  • The school Nurse team/ Health visitors : we are linked to a school nurse team who provide us with valuable advice and information regarding medical issues and health visitors provide support for our youngest pupils
  • UDB : a group who provide external nurturing support for groups of pupils to develop their : social / emotional/behaviour skills
  • Forest schools : we have a forest schools expert who comes into school weekly to support pupils with their behaviour/social skills

Less commonly used, but still accessed as and when required, we have links with:

  • Occupational Therapy: as required for specific medical needs
  • ADHD nurse : provides training/ advice for specific pupils
  • Specialist support services such as Hearing Impaired Team/ Visually impaired team : provide support and advice as necessary regarding specific pupils
  • GP/Consultants : SENCO liaises with medical professionals regarding specific individual pupils.
  • FTB/CAHMS : SENCO liaises with medical professionals regarding specific pupils.
  • Children’s services: school will seek advice as necessary