Home Page

Q7. What specialised services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

A. The school works collaboratively and extensively with a wide range of external agencies and services. Below are the most commonly accessed services:

  • Pupil & School Support ( PSS ) : Story Wood School buys into this service. A named person is assigned to the school and supports us with assessment and advice regarding target setting, interventions and training for specific learning difficulties.

  • Communication & Autism Team (CAT) : we have a named worker who is in regular contact with the school to provide us with advice and support for individual pupils either with a diagnosis of ASD or with ASD tendencies such as social /communication difficulties.

  • Speech & Language Therapy ( SALT): we have decided to employ an independent speech therapist who comes into school on a weekly basis to work with pupils who have been identified as having specific communication and language difficulties.

  • NHS Speech & Language Therapy ( SALT): we refer to the NHS for additional support for pupils as required.

  • Integrated Family Support team ( IFST ) : we work closely with the team to support individual families and pupils as required.

  • The school Nurse team/ Health visitors : we are linked to a school nurse team who provide us with valuable advice and information regarding medical issues and health visitors provide support for our youngest pupils

  • UDB : a group who provide external nurturing support for groups of pupils to develop their : social / emotional/behaviour skills

  • Forest schools : we have a forest schools expert who comes into school weekly to support pupils with their behaviour/social skills

Less commonly used, but still accessed as and when required, we have links with:

  • Occupational Therapy: as required for specific medical needs

  • ADHD nurse : provides training/ advice for specific pupils

  • Specialist support services such as Hearing Impaired Team/ Visually impaired team : provide support and advice as necessary regarding specific pupils

  • GP/Consultants : SENCO liaises with medical professionals regarding specific individual pupils.

  • CAHMS : SENCO liaises with medical professionals regarding specific pupils.

  • Children’s services: school will seek advice as necessary


    For the next academic year 2014/15 we plan to extend the involvement of external agencies to have access to:


  • A play therapist : to support with emotional / behavioural difficulties

  • The services of an Educational Psychologist : to support specific pupils with emotional/behavioural difficulties